Monday, April 14, 2008

Honeymoon is over

Day 4: April 14, 2008


After a weekend of dirt discovery and a trip to the local laundromat, the romance of this whole remodeling thing has vanished. I'll be honest, I feel like I have sand in my teeth as I write this.

Today I was hoping to come home to a drastically different construction site. Instead, the only chance I could detect was a hole in the wall where they are venting through the roof. It looks pretty much the same from the stairs and I wasn't willing to wade through the sand to take a closer look.

I learned this weekend that I love of doing laundry on Sunday mornings in my PJs in the comfort of my own home while watching Sunday Morning on CBS. I will never take this mundane chore for granted again. We packed up two baskets full of dirty clothes, our concentrated All, Bounce sheets and hangers and headed to the coin operated laundromat. For some reason I imagined new, clean, quiet machines with credit card payment as an option. No, no, no. These places are stuck in a time warp with their machines from the '70's. Our clothes smelled like burnt rubber after spending 30 minutes in the dryer with only one temperature setting- scalding. I have made the decision to go with my original plan- buy more undies and socks to help us get through this phase in the remodel without anymore trips to the laundromat!

Liz, I'll let you use my dumpster if you let me use your laundry room!

1 comment:

Liz H. said...

I too am a closet laundry lover. One of my greatest domestic joys is folding clothes whilst watching a tivo'ed Oprah, Lost, or the Soup. I totally and completely understand. You are welcome to use our washer and dryer anytime, seriously!!! Really!!!