Friday, December 12, 2008

Day 8 of Bathroom Construction and Day 1 of Kitchen Demo

Friday, December 12, 2008

Today Aaron installed the crown moulding and Jed started tiling the shower surround. It is really starting to look "sharp" as my dad would say. Jed has asked me to decide between white and dark gray grout for the subway tile. Traditionally it is white but darker grout colors have benefits in making cleaning easier.

After Aaron finished the crown moulding, he and Jed were kind enough to move our electric range so that demo could begin. They also moved the portable dishwasher to the basement. Scott sterilizes his beer bottles in the dishwasher so we may keep the portable dw for that purpose. It could also be his work surface for transferring and bottling beer.

Aaron also helped me figure out how to remove the cabinets. Because they were built into the walls he basically had to remove them board by board. Each board had about 25 long nails sticking out of them. Tetanus waiting to happen! Aaron ended up removing all of the cabinets and the countertop (wait- I did remove two parts of the countertop and the microwave shelf!

After Aaron left, I got busy removing 98% of the sheet rock on the walls. Tomorrow Scott and I will finish the demo.

Here are photos of the bathroom:

New Bathroom_Day5 (1)

New Bathroom_Day5 (2)

New Bathroom_Day5

Here are the photos from the kitchen demo:
Ktichen Demo_Day 1 (4)

Removing this fake brick paneling was nearly as fulfilling as removing the old shower surround!

Ktichen Demo_Day 1 (5)

Ktichen Demo_Day 1 (3)

Ktichen Demo_Day 1 (2)

The heat vent pictured here may cause problems for the layout. The refrigerator is to go there and we had no idea there was a vent there. This may ruin my desire for a more open feel between the kitchen and dining area :(. I'll keep you updated.

Okay, I am totally falling asleep at the computer. I think it is time to rest these aching bones.

No comments: