Saturday, January 3, 2009

Oops I did it again!

Sorry if you are now singing the 2000 Britney Spears classic. Just a quick update on the Nivens household projects. As of yesterday I have another project in progress thanks to the ELFA sale at the Container Store. My sister, Emily and her boyfriend, Josh were kind enough to give me a Container Store gift certificate for Christmas so I couldn't pass up the sale. I am reconfiguring our main floor closet to maximize space. Instead of 5 shelves spanning the width of the closet, half of the small space will have a rod for hanging coats (a coat closet!) and storing the vacuum, etc. The other half will be shelves for storage (cleaning supplies, linens, medicine, etc).

Who knew that removing closet shelves would be so complicated? Apparently nothing in a 1948 house is straight forward. After realizing that the shelves could not be removed without first removing the pieces of wood they were resting on, I got out my trusty hammer and crow bar type tool. Armed with the confidence I have from two demos, I tapped the crow bar behind the wooden bracket. As I bent it to leverage the wood away from the wall, I created a hole in the drywall! Oops! Thankfully Chris the painter was at my house and he assisted me in removing a couple of shelves and taught me how to more carefully remove the wooden brackets. So, now I get to teach myself how to patch drywall AND I am going to use this closet as my first painting project! That means even more displaced crap in my home- what was I thinking?

IMG_0934

IMG_0936

IMG_0935

Now for the good news, no news portion of the update. The good news is that the final wall in the kitchen and Aaron and Chris have started to mud. Also, I ordered the sink and purchased the faucet. The no news is that there is no progress on the bathroom. I am hoping the toilet and sink will be installed next week so that I can avoid trips to the basement in the middle of the night.

Here's the latest kitchen photos:
IMG_0937

IMG_0938
Aaron is going to put trim around the entry to the kitchen from the dining room. I think this will help the transition in paint colors from the dining to the kitchen.

No comments: