Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Power of Marketing


Yesterday I received the April 2008 issue of Better Homes and Gardens and was reminded of the power of marketing. Because I am currently on the quest to add furnishings to my home on a tight budget, I slowed down my typical quick page flipping of when I reached a special advertising section featuring basic furnishings. A red storage ottoman for the living room and a storage bench for the entry caught my eye. I flipped back to the first of the 16 page ad and read "Canopy: A unique collection of home furnishings designed for the way we really live." That sounds appealing, yeah? So, things are looking pretty promising and I continued to study the ad. Look at those prices! Awesome! But...hmm...on second thought, something seems fishy. $399 for a big media armoire? I have been drooling over Crate and Barrel, Room and Board, Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware for the past week so I knew that was *really* low. On a recent trip to Ikea, I observed many pieces over $400. So, who are you Canopy? Well, I know but I want you to guess:

Visit http://canopyliving.com/index.html and tell me who is the man behind the curtain!

3 comments:

Erin said...

I figured it out! I won't ruin it for anyone else though :)

Janelle said...

Erin,

What is your reaction? Surprised? Not really? I think the person behind this is a genius even though I am not a fan of the mothership.

Erin said...

Sorry, I didn't see your reply comment until now! I actually was not that surprised... they seem to have a hand in everything now! They really did a good job hiding the ownership and the website is very well laid out - very smart!