Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Project 3/4 Bathroom

Vanities. Faucets. Toilets. Tile.

That's right. We are creating a bathroom. We chose the basement because it the least expensive place to add livable square footage. Originally, I wanted to create a "rustic" bathroom while we gut and remodel our main floor bathroom. But, the risk of never returning to complete the temporary bathroom is high. Depending on the cost of creating the bathroom, we may also finish the laundry area. So, we'd have a 1/4 of a finished basement!


There are so many decisions to be made. Because the basement feels about 20 degrees colder than the rest of the house (Scott says the official temp reading is 61°), we plan on using in-floor heating below tile. Tile is harder to pick than I thought! I am going for a clean, bright, fun look since it is in the basement. I was thinking of a white and yellow checker look.

I ordered two 12" sample tiles - one mustard and one biscuit. I put them up against the light yellow paint and white baseboard in the main floor bedroom and now I am not sure I like the look. Of course it is hard to get a full understanding of the look because I need more tiles to create the checkered look.

Ugh. I may be back to square one. Any ideas?

3 comments:

Nona said...

Janelle,
This is great! Our friends who built the eco-retreat in Wisconsin used in-floor heat (solar!), in a concrete floor! I'm sure they'd be happy to talk about it:
http://www.journeyinn.net/index.shtml
BTW, I like your tile colors!
Good luck,
Nona

Unknown said...

sleJanelle,
IT was fun to read your blog - thanks for sending it to me! Your house looks so cute! I have white tile and grout in my bathroom and I hate it! It shows every little speck of dirt. If I were to retile I would get something marbley that does not show dirt and use a dark colored grout..... I guess I could just CLEAN more...but who wants to do THAT?!?

Allie said...

Janelle,

But the yellow & white checks were super fun in the photo you sent me! Not so good in person, though...?

Dan researched & purchased in-floor heating stuff when he tiled his kitchen floor & entry (a couple weeks ago). He ended up deciding not to use it for various reasons, but I'm sure he'd be happy to talk to you about the pros & cons as he saw them.